8.05.2010

Salted Caramels

I made the most insanely good salted caramels today. I'd never made any sort of candy before and had to buy a candy thermometer to make sure I didn't mess them up. But they were actually really easy to make- and they look impressive when they're all wrapped up in parchment paper.  They won't last very long though- get ready to crumple up all the pieces of parchment paper you carefully cut and wrapped them in!

The recipe is from Ina Garten- The Barefoot Contessa, who is one of my all time favorites. Whenever I watch her show I find myself wishing I was invited to one of her ridiculously delicious Hamptons dinners- and then I just end up trying to recreate whatever it is she was making. That's how I was inspired to make these- and now I'm starting to regret it because they are completely addictive. But make them none the less- your friends and family will love you forever.

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fleur-de-sel-caramels-recipe/index.html

I used Maldon sea salt because that's just what I had- and they turned out deliciously and just as pretty. I also stuck the pan right in the freezer once I'd poured the caramel in- I was feeling very impatient and wanted them out as quick as possible. After about five minutes they were good to go and ready to roll and slice- so do what your level of patience allows you.

No comments:

Post a Comment