8.14.2011

Best Fig Salad



Figs are one of those illusive items that only appear in stores for a fleeting few weeks, usually unannounced and never for long enough. So when I spot them in Whole Foods, I snap up a bunch and usually make this delicious salad several days in a row. Its really simple to pull together, and makes for a great light lunch alone or paired with some simple grilled fish its an easy summer dinner. If you have any leftovers (which I rarely do with this!) it keeps will in the fridge and is perfect for picking at throughout the day.

Wash your figs (around ten makes a good portion) and trim off the pointy tops (about 1/4 inch down) then quarter them. Place them all on a platter or a shallow bowl and layer over quartered cherry tomatoes, quartered mozzarella balls, and a big handful of chopped basil. Drizzle the whole plate with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pepper, and sea salt. Sometimes if I'm in the mood I add a light drizzle of honey as well, and if I have ripe avocados on hand, they add a nice creamy touch to the salad.

One of my all time favorite chefs inspired this recipe with a similar fig salad in his Happy Days cookbook (Definitely worth picking up!). He adds some ribbons of prosciutto, which is a nice salty counterpoint to the sweet figs.


No comments:

Post a Comment